- The Buddy Walk® program was established in 1995 by the National Down Syndrome Society (NDSS) to promote acceptance and inclusion of people with Down syndrome and to celebrate Down Syndrome Awareness Month in October. The name Buddy Walk® promotes inclusion between friends of every ability.
- 17 events took place across the country during the inaugural year of the Buddy Walk®.
- NDSS introduced the Times Square Video to bring attention to the Buddy Walk® program and raise awareness of individuals with Down syndrome in a public setting.
- NDSS introduced a new Buddy Walk® logo‚ the now familiar blue and yellow graphic of a family holding hands.
- Over 100 Buddy Walk® events took place.
- Actor John C. McGinley joined NDSS as National Buddy Walk® Spokesman.
- The Buddy Walk® site launched.
- More than 190 Buddy Walk® events took place in 49 states and 5 countries with over 180,000 participants raising more than $2.5 million.
- More than 210 Buddy Walk® events took place with over 200,000 participants raising more than $4.5 million.
- NDSS celebrated 10 years of the Buddy Walk®! From 1995 – 2005 over 1,500,000 people participated in Buddy Walks worldwide.
- More than 250 Buddy Walk® events took place with over 200,000 participants raising more than $5.5 million.
- The Buddy Walk® public service announcement, starring TV Host Nancy O’Dell, TV Host Meredith Vieira, Actor John C. McGinley, Actor and NDSS Goodwill Ambassador Chris Burke, and Actress Andrea Friedman, was played nationwide at all Regal Cinemas before every movie for two weeks to celebrate Down Syndrome Awareness Month and the National Buddy Walk® program.
- More than 250 Buddy Walk® events took place with over 250,000 participants raising more than $10.5 million.
- The first Buddy Walk® held on a military base in a combat zone took place at Camp Phoenix in Kabul, Afghanistan.
- More than 250 Buddy Walk® events took place with over 285,000 participants raising more than $11 million.
- The first Buddy Walk® in Japan was held at Kadena Air Force Base in Okinawa
- More than 250 Buddy Walk® events took place with over 295,000 participants raising more than $11.75 million.
- The Buddy Walk® has been ranked in the top 30 fundraising events nationwide for: money raised, number of participants and best series event since 2008 according to Run Walk Ride Fundraising Council Survey results.
- The Buddy Walk® had a record breaking year with more than 305,000 participants raising $12.1 million dollars in more than 250 events across the country and around the world.
- Our first international Buddy Walk® in Turkey took place in Istanbul, along with Walks in Tokyo, Japan; Auckland, New Zealand; Freeport, Bahamas; Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago as well as across Canada.
- The Buddy Walk® had another record breaking year with more than 315,000 participants raising nearly $13 million dollars in more than 250 events across the country and around the world.
- Our team, Hannah’s Heart, participated for the first time and raised $1150.
Timelines taken from the NDSS website
One thought on “31 for 21: B is for Buddy Walk”
Hi Lee, it was great to meet you and Hannah last night at Book Club. Hannah is beautiful! I would love to know about the next Buddy Walk and especially Hannah’s Team! Please send the info when you have time.